Saturday, March 15, 2014

Non-Cooking: Buffet Transformation

After recently having to have some major home repairs done, including a wall taken down and put back up in my dining room, I have learned to have faith in myself in things other than cooking! I wanted to find a piece of furniture to make this dining room my own.  I was so excited that during another remodel project I discovered the local Habitat for Humanity Store in Albany, NY.  I was fortunate to find a solid wood buffet/dresser which was very inexpensive but yet in great condition despite the horrible color (green).  After begging a friend with a truck to help me go pick it up, I then realized how LARGE and HEAVY it was, but with a bit of determination and a couple of stops along the highway to adjust the drawers to keep from losing them we made it!

Before
After letting it sit in the garage for a couple weeks and searching out paint and what I actually wanted to do with it I discovered Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  The closest location for me was Bennington, VT.  This trip included a local antique store (to purchase the paint), the covered bridges and local lore of the town and many pictures!

Upon my return, I pulled out the picture I was using as inspiration and I asked a friend if I could borrow a sander.  Yes, Heather used a power tool... I already had a cold, so why not add to it with a bit of dust!  I anticipated a quick sanding of the top to get the green color off and then I could stain the top a bit darker.  What happened was I discovered, 2 layers of paint on top of this amazing wood.  So I sanded to the actual wood.  Three hours later, sand in my hair I trucked to the hardware store.  I am fairly certain I scared the employee in the paint section, when I asked for stain and what type of paint brush I needed.  Then I told him I was going to put wax on the top so I did not need anything to seal the stain.

After 2 coats of stain, the wood absorbed everything I put on, so I decided to add one more to even it out.  The third coat made it!  While the overnight drying began I started removing hardware and painting the drawers and base of the buffet.  After a couple days of painting and drying the base and drawers were painted.  Finally I could move everything in doors to wax and have my garage back for my car.  :)

I followed the directions (which most of you know, I rarely do), applying a coat of clear wax, buffing and then applying a coat of dark wax.  This is a tedious process but made the outcome spectacular!

I hope that you enjoyed something other than a cooking and/or Celiac post!  This was so much fun and I wanted to share it!  :)


After


No comments:

Post a Comment