Thursday, April 24, 2014

Chicken Riggies

The first two years I lived in NY were spent traveling... traveling between Albany and Syracuse and between Albany and Plattsburgh, NY.  At this point I was not Gluten Free so I tried many new dishes that included an amazing amount of pasta dishes. Between Albany and Syracuse are a couple of towns known as Utica and Rome, NY.  The area is known for Utica Greens and Chicken Riggies. These are just two of the spectacular dishes that I tried and loved while traveling back and forth.  Upon my diagnosis (as you will often find in the blog), I shied away from trying to recreate dishes that were favorites or something I wasn't sure could be "just as good GF".  Now after a couple of years, I feel better about taking the leap!  This is one that I am so excited that I tried and succeeded at!

** Sorry, I didn't have any GF Rigatoni, so I used the only GF pasta I had... It was still delish!! **

1 lb Rigatoni
2 lbs chicken breast  (cut in small chunks)
2 Roasted Red Peppers (1/2" slices)
1 - 28 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes (whole)
7-10 hot cherry peppers (rough chopped)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup Romano cheese (grated)
1 cup Cooking Sherry Wine + 1/2 cup water
4 tbsp EVOO
4 tbsp butter
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp Basil
Pinch of Salt

In a heavy stock pot (I used a cast iron dutch oven) add 2 tbsp of the olive oil and 4 cloves of the garlic over low heat.  Don't let the garlic burn and then add the tomatoes, sherry wine and water.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add the butter, basil and salt.  Turn it down and let it simmer on low.  In a separate skillet add the chicken to brown over medium heat.  Once it is almost brown, add the roasted red peppers, hot cherry peppers and the last minced garlic clove.  Saute' for a couple more minutes.  (I turned to medium low and cooked about 5 minutes).  In the sauce pot, smash the tomatoes with a potato masher carefully and stir in the cream.  Add the cheese and then the chicken and peppers.  Simmer on low while cooking the pasta to al dente.  Toss the pasta with the sauce and serve romano cheese on top.

This should serve 4-6.

As you can tell, I modified the recipe just a bit.  I actually used: 5 peppers because they were fairly large and 1/2 c of the heavy cream.  I also used I also used a bit more basil because I thought it needed it.  I love, love, love roasted red pepper and sliced mine into 1/2 inch slices instead of chopping them into chunks.


These are the hot cherry peppers that I bought.  I found them at the local Italian Market.  They are usually available in the International Foods isle at the grocery store.

Here is the link for the original recipe that I started from... Please Share & Enjoy!!

The Brooklyn Ragazza: Utica Chicken Riggies

No comments:

Post a Comment